Wednesday, January 11, 2012

How come the water from the tap and the power are turned off a few times a month? Are they planned outages or random?

I wish I knew the answer to this! The water shut-off is definitely less frequent than the power. For the past month or so, I've lost power for about 15 minutes between the hours of 6:00 pm and 8:00 pm. I have no clue why.

It's also very difficult to tell sometimes whether or not the power-outage is due to the main line being cut, or just that the house cash power has run out. Rwanda runs on a cash power system where you pay (on your cell phone of course!) for a certain amount of power. You are then texted a code that you enter into the cash power meter on the side of the house and BAM! your power works again. So I'm constantly going outside to make sure it's not the meter when our power goes out.

I think I'm just going to chalk this one up to things I don't understand about Africa. I have a feeling no one really knows why these things happen, they just accept that they do.

No comments: